I know no one wants to think of winter, but Council discussed the winter maintenance program at our September 5th GC meeting. We have had issues with regards to our winter service levels over the last couple of years. As I have stated many times, when it comes to services such as snow removal, the Town should be providing the best possible service for the best possible price for our residents and our current winter maintenance program is not the best service to the residents. I would like to commend Mr Tree and Mr Downey for recognizing the issues with the current program and for working at developing efficiencies that will look to providing the service levels our residents expect. The changes proposed by staff will bring far better service of snow clearing at no extra cost to the residents!! Some of these changes include adding the 4 crew leaders to help actually plow, as under last year’s program the crew leaders stayed in the operations base. The Parks Dept and IES will be working together this year, utilizing not only equipment but staff. These repurposing measures will allow for a better service with no added cost to the residents. This is something that I have been asking for since the beginning of this term – and specifically through two motions – and have been working with staff to look for efficiencies within. The proposed program changes are:
- Assign 24 hour, 7day per week trained road patrol staff coverage to monitor road conditions and callout staff in response to road conditions
- Re-assign four winter crew leaders into winter road plow/sander operators
- Assign up to 3 Parks Division operators to winter roads standby rotation
- Utilize Parks Division equipment and operators for cul-de-sac and rear lot driveway winter maintenance
- Assign up to 3 groups of 7 staff to a rotating standby schedule
- Equip existing Parks tractor with more efficient box type snow plow an one existing IES wheel loader with snow plow and wing
I think the proposed changes are a great improvement to our winter maintenance program. And while I would like to see the summer weather here as long as possible, I am looking forward to a winter of clean and clear streets and sidewalks for Aurora.